This is the perfect time of year to review and refresh your LinkedIn profile. In fact, it’s a great idea to make regular review and updates part of your marketing plan.
I recommend you check your LinkedIn profile once a month to see if it is accurate and complete. LinkedIn adds new profile options all the time and you want to take advantage of all of them.
Taking a just a few minutes once a month to make sure everything looks the way you want will save you both the embarrassment of an outdated profile and the overwhelming feeling that you need a complete re-do.
Here are the key things you need to look at:
- Experience. Update your experience. Even if you have not changed jobs, you may have a new title and you likely have new accomplishments to showcase.
- Branding. Do the words and image reflect your current brand? Do they present an accurate picture of your expertise and experience? Make sure the 120 characters in your professional headline accurately reflect who you are, what you do, and whom you serve today.
- Related content. Is your best content connected to your profile? Upload your best presentations and videos to showcase your latest professional work.
- Links. Are all possible website and social media links added to your profile? Make sure your profile serves as a great way for people to connect with everywhere you are online.
- Status updates and posts. Are you making regular status updates and posts that keep you relevant to your connections? Make sure you are regularly adding content that reinforces your current position and brand.
About the Author: Jill Kurtz founded Kurtz Digital Strategy to help clients see the communication potential of the newest trends and technologies. She is an expert at website strategy and redesign, social media planning, and developing exceptional content.