Welcome to day one of Market Madness, a 64 Company Tournament based on daily returns that will determine a Market Madness Champion! The brackets have been prepared and welcome to the first day of "games" involving the Blue Chip bracket and the Cinderella bracket. One thing Market Madness has over March Madness? Negative scores! So, without further ado, lets get to the results!
Blue Chip Bracket
(16) JP Morgan (JPM) +2.57 percent over (1) Apple (AAPL) -0.68 percent
(15) Coca-Cola (KO) +0.16 percent over (2) Exxon-Mobil (XOM) +0.08
(3) Microsoft (MSFT) +0.24 percent over (14) Pfizer (PFE) -0.09 percent
(13) Wells Fargo (WFC) +2.10 percent over (4) IBM (IBM) +0.63 percent
(12) Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) -0.02 percent over (5) Chevron (CVX) -0.60 percent
(11) AT&T (T) +0.60 percent over (6) Wal-Mart (WMT) +0.25 percent
(7) General Electric (GE) +1.87 percent over (10) Procter & Gamble (PG) -0.25 percent
(8) Google (GOOG) +0.83 percent over (9) Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) +0.76 percent
It was upset special time in the Blue Chip bracket as both of the top two seeds went down in the first round! It was ALMOST as if the seeding was based on some sort of arbitrary number that wouldn't actually provide an accurate prediction of probably daily performance! Apple's bull run this year took a stumble today while JP Morgan took advantage and knocked them out, Google vs. Berkshire Hathaway was the squeaker everyone thought it would be, Johnson & Johnson and Chevron provided an intriguing match-up as both stocks lost ground today but Chevron lost more.
(16) Interline Brands (IBI) +0.14 percent over (1) Threshold Pharmaceuticals (THLD) -3.72 percent
(15) TPC Group (TPCG) +3.96 over (2) Flagstar Bancorp (FBC) -10.00 percent
(14) American Vanguard (AVD) +1.17 percent over (3) Transcend Services (TRCR) 0.24 percent
(4) Medidata Solutions (MDSO) +0.04 percent over (13) Hot Topic (HOTT) -2.56 percent
(5) LivePerson (LPSN) +1.98 percent over (12) Tangoe (TNGO) +0.06 percent
(6) Advance America, Cash Advance Centers (AEA) +0.10 percent over (11) Cenveo (CVO) -8.90 percennt
(7) Smith & Wesson (SWHC) +0.44 percent over (10) Cempra (CEMP) -1.18 percent
(8) iPass (IPAS) +3.77 percent over (9) Pilgrim's Pride Corporation (PPC) +0.54 percent
In the history of the NCAA tournament, there has never been a 16 over 1 upset. In Market Madness, there have been two...in the first day. The Cinderella Bracket provided even more excitement than the Blue Chip Bracket, with all of the top three seeds falling on the first day. It also featured potentially the biggest blowout of the tournament with TPC Group beating out Flagstar Bancorp by almost 14 percent.
Day One Wrap Up
With the first day of games in the books, Market Madness is proving to be all the madness it promised with upsets galore! Be sure to come back tomorrow when the next slate of 16 games is up and the Mid Majors Bracket and Road to Redemption Bracket both begin the first round.
DISCLOSURE: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors, and do not represent the views of equities.com. Readers should not consider statements made by the author as formal recommendations and should consult their financial advisor before making any investment decisions. To read our full disclosure, please go to: http://www.equities.com/disclaimer