Summary of Findings
- AMERICANS BELIEVE THAT ONE MILLION MANUFACTURING JOBS WILL RETURN TO THE US UNDER PRESIDENT TRUMP (55%)
- MAJORITY OF AMERICANS SAY IT IS INAPPROPRIATE FOR POTUS TO CRITICIZE INDIVIDUAL COMPANIES (52%)
- MAJORITY OPPOSE BORDER TAX ON MEXICAN PRODUCTS TO FUND WALL (62%)
- LARGE MAJORITY SAYS IT IS THE NEWS MEDIA’S RESPONSIBILITY TO FACT-CHECK POLITICIANS (83%)
- MORE THAN 1/3 OF VOTERS BELIEVE AMERICA COULD CEASE TO EXIST DURING A TRUMP PRESIDENCY (36%)
Results of Feb 2017 National Poll
1. How likely do you think it is that at least one million manufacturing jobs will come back to the US during Donald Trump’s presidency?
LIKELY 55% [NET]
- Very likely 20%
- Somewhat likely 35%
NOT LIKELY 41% [NET]
- Somewhat unlikely 19%
- Not at all likely 22%
2. Do you think it is appropriate or inappropriate for President Trump to publicly criticize individual companies that may move jobs out of the US?
- Inappropriate 52%
- Appropriate 40%
- Unsure 8%
3. Would you support or oppose a 20 percent tax on products imported into the US from Mexico to fund President Trump’s proposed wall along the Mexican border?
- Oppose 62%
- Support 31%
- Unsure 7%
4. Do you believe that it is the news media’s responsibility to fact-check politicians and report when they lie?
- Yes 83%
- No 13%
- Unsure 4%
5. How likely do you think it is that during the Trump Presidency the government will break down and the country will cease to exist as we know it today?
- Very likely 15%
- Somewhat likely 21%
- NOT LIKELY 60%
- Somewhat unlikely 20%
- Not at all likely 40%
Probolsky Research surveyed a nationally representative sample of 1,000 adults living in the United States. Telephone interviews were conducted by landline and mobile phone (500). The survey was offered in both English and Spanish (43 respondents chose to complete the survey in Spanish) and conducted from February 2 – 5, 2017. Statistical results are weighted to compensate for demographic discrepancies. We utilize rounding to bring aggregate responses to 100% for presentation purposes. The margin of error for this survey is +/-3.9%.
Probolsky Research conducts opinion research on behalf of business, government, media, non-profit, and special interest clients. Adam Probolsky is CEO of Probolsky Research.