Are Stocks Heading to All Time Highs?

Ilan Levy-Mayer |

Are stocks about to hit new heights?

That was the question that crossed my mind Monday morning, as overnight news from China sent equities screaming higher after Friday's dramatic sell-off.

On Monday, April 20th 2015, stocks were up about one percent after being down a bit more than that on Friday. I will let smarter people and highly trained economists digest and analyze the news out of China, and I will focus on what I know better - charts and trading.

My first reaction to the news of China lowering rates, perhaps the first step of QE over there, was that the market is going to head toward all time highs soon. I then took a look at the four major futures indices: Mini SP 500, Mini NASDAQ 100, Mini Russell 2000 and the Mini Dow Jones. Except for the Russell, they all were telling the same story - the market is still within a rnage bound trading, between major support and major resistance levels.

So far, I am seeing lower highs, but I am also seeing higher lows. I decided to share the Dow Jones Cash index with you rather than share four different charts, as I feel this chart is a good reflection of where we are at in general for stocks.

1 DJI_-_DJ_Industrial_Average_Daily_Heikin-Ashi_1.jpg

Click to Enlarge

The big question, though, is "Which way?" My speculation is that if we take out the high from March 23rd at 18205, the door might be open for ATH - All Time Highs. On the flip side, if we can take out Friday's lows at 17748, the door is open for a much deeper correction.What these tell me is that we are about to break out of the very WIDE range we have been trading at.What we see in the daily chart of the Dow Jones cash Index below is the high made on March 2nd, a lower high on March 23rd, and the last high on April 16th. We are also seeing that recent lows are starting to rise higher than previous lows.

At this point in the game, I personally would look to attack on a daily basis and "go with the flow" or go with the trend for the day. It seems like overnight moves are volatile, and what seems to be a bearish market one day becomes a bullish market the next day. As long as we are in this range, be careful. If we confirm a higher breakout on a daily close, it may be time to go long all over again....

For those of you who don't have much patience, I would recommend buying both vertical put spreads and vertical call spreads, as I feel a big move is coming.

My estimate is a 60% chance of going higher, 40% chance of going lower.....


Many ways to trade any market, many ways to lose money in any market and only very few ways to lock in gains - this one is not different. If you need help creating a trading plan, visit our broker assist services.


DISCLOSURE: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors, and do not represent the views of Readers should not consider statements made by the author as formal recommendations and should consult their financial advisor before making any investment decisions. To read our full disclosure, please go to:


Emerging Growth

Broadway Gold Mining Ltd.

Broadway Gold Mining Ltd is engaged in the exploration of mineral resources. The Company owns a 100% interest in the Madison Gold and Copper Mine located in Southwestern Montana.

Private Markets

Cross Campus

With over 500 members and operating 80,000 square feet by summer 2016, Cross Campus is one of the country’s top ten shared, collaborative office or "coworking" operators in the US.…


Our mission is to be the best place for people who care about music to create and discover thoughtfully curated playlists. In essence, 8tracks is a platform for online mixtapes.