Actionable insights straight to your inbox

Equities logo

Apple Commits To Being 100% Carbon Neutral for Corporate Emissions Worldwide by 2030

The aggressive target is 20 years ahead of IPCC targets. Tim Cook said he hopes that Apple is "a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change."

Image source: Apple

Apple has committed to being 100% carbon neutral for corporate emissions worldwide by 2030, 20 years faster than Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) targets.

The company is already carbon neutral for global corporate operations; this new commitment means that, by a decade from now, every Apple device sold will have net zero climate impact.

“The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world,” said Apple CEO Tim Cook. “Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth.”

Apple said it would reduce emissions by 75% while developing innovative carbon removal solutions to cover the remaining 25% of its footprint.

Cook continued, “With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”

The company’s climate roadmap encompasses:

  • Low carbon product design
  • Expanding energy efficiency
  • Renewable energy
  • Process and material innovations
  • Carbon removal

In support of this latest initiative and beyond, Apple is establishing an Impact Accelerator that will invest in minority-owned businesses. The focus will be on those companies that drive positive outcomes in Apple’s supply chain and in communities affected disproportionately by environmental hazards.

The accelerator is part of Apple’s recently announced $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, which is focused on education, economic equality and criminal justice reform.


Source: Equities News

A weekly five-point roundup of critical events in the energy transition and the implications of climate change for business and finance.