And the second round of Market Madness begins! As our companies begin their "march" to the Sweet Sixteen, the competition gets even stiffer. Two of the three sixteen seeds that made it through to the second round are in action today as the Blue Chip Bracket and Cinderella Bracket are both in action today. Be sure to keep checking the Equities.com Market Madness Bracket.
Blue Chip Bracket
8. Google (GOOG) +1.43 percent over 16. JP Morgan (JPM) +0.96 percent
13. Wells Fargo (WFC) +1.06 percent over 12. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) +0.14 percent
11. AT&T (T) +0.19 percent over 3. Microsoft (MSFT) -1.23 percent
15. Coca-Cola (KO) +0.34 percent over 7. General Electric (GE) +0.05 percent
Ah, what a difference a day makes. The much bally-hooed second round match up between Google and Apple (AAPL) never materialized after JP Morgan scored its major first round upset, but if they had matched up today the 2.65 percent jump from Apple after it announced its share buyback and dividend would have kept the company alive. Instead, Google advanced to the Sweet 16 as the highest seeded Blue Chip left alive...as an eight seed. That's right, the upsets kept on rolling as the low seeded Blue Chips continued to smash the competition and an 11, 13, and 15 seed all advanced.
16. Interline Brands (IBI) +1.88 percent over 8. iPass (IPAS) -1.19 percent
5. LivePerson (LPSN) +1.61 percent over 4. Mediadata Solutions (MDSO) +0.63 percent
14. American Vanguard (AVD) +1.85 percent over 6. Advance America (AEA) +0.19 percent
7. Smith & Wesson (SWHC) +0.89 percent over 15. TPC Group (TPCG) -2.19 percent
Smith & Wesson appears to be making the argument that, despite starting as a seven seed, it should be number one with a bullet. The handgun maker cruised into the second round with a drubbing of TPC Group. The Cinderella bracket featured day three's only match up of non-upset winners from the first round in LivePerson and Mediadata Solutions. LivePerson, the winner as a four seed, also represents the best seed to advance into the Sweet Sixteen so far.
Tomorrow: Day Four
Tune in tomorrow after market close to find out who will make the remainder of the Sweet Sixteen. Then, the Elite Eight will be decided in the eight games being played on Thursday! Market Madness continues to roll on towards the title!